Sunday, May 21, 2006

Together Again...

Tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil..."


Grandma's Funeral was on Tuesday, May 16. It was a sad affair but beautiful in its own way. One thing that was apparent was that, even though everyone had written speeches, and not collaborated, the dominant theme was obvious: Grandma was a caring, nurturing person who instilled great values in all of her children/grand children. None of us can recall a day when she was angry, and none of us had ever heard her ask for anything she did not already have.

We will all miss her dearly... but we are happy that she is together with Grandpa again...



That evening we all decided to go out to a Malaysian / Singaporean / Taiwanese restaurant called Ellie. I should probably write a review about it, but I leave that for another day... assuming I ever go back :p

Here's something to give you an idea of what our experience was like. We arrived there in a group of 14 (ya... that may have marred my experience a little). Our group seemed to take up about 1/3 if not 1/2 of all the seats available (I didn't count). There were only 2 waitresses on the floor, so service was a little slow... understandable considering how large our group was.

To drink, a few of us ordered Sasperella. I have to admit I can't remember trying it before that day tho I'm sure I have... O_o it's quite nice actually :) Like RootBeer.

I'll try to recall what (our section) ordered, but no promises... the menu was actually pretty extensive. We had Sambal Blacan Asparagus, Peatips (Sambal Blacan I think), Chicken Rendang (I prefer beef, but they didn't have any), Seafood Paper Hotpot, Beef Paper Hotpot, Roti Canai, Bak Kut Teh, and what dinner is complete without White Rice?

Asaparagus - Not too shabby... I'm biased on this one... I love asparagus.

Peatips - Delicious... but then again, Sambal Blacan anything is good :p

Chicken Rendang - tasteful, but I still prefer beef.


Seafood Paper Hotpot - This one is interesting. When we first read the menu we were wondering wth it was. And it's exactly as it says... it's a small hotpot, but the soup and rest of the food is in a 'paper' container over a small open flame. (You can see the tops of the 'paper' in the picture.)

Beef Paper Hotpot - Similar to the Seafood Paper Hotpot but with beef.

Roti Canai - is my favorite edible item from Malaysia... I was sorely disappointed in the Roti Canai in this restaurant :( The taste barely even resembled Roti Canai. All I could taste was Dough and Butter... I don't even remember what the Curry tasted like :/

Bak Kut Teh - was not as good as some other places that I've tried, but then again... I just got back from M'sia (where we stayed in Klang) so I guess it's not fair to compare.. actually, you can't compare :p I'll just say this, it's passable.

White Rice - is White Rice ;) another one of my favs :D I'd recommend this anywhere, anytime keke.

Maybe I'll go back soon with a smaller group to give it a fair chance ;)

Hmm... I think I'll have to move this over to the eats section.. it turned out to be more of a review than I expected :p

It's late now :( time to get some shuteye ;)

5 comments:

carolyn said...

I am sorry to learn about your grandma. Hope you and your family are coping well.

God bless.

monochromatix said...

Thank you Carolyn, we are doing well.

Now it's time for me to start getting things in order :) it's nice to see that people are still reading the blog :p

ochiro said...

Ellie... why... well, at least you didn't try the laksa, it wasn't very... flavorful :S

Lonely Linus said...

The number of days I've gone without REAL Malaysian food, 2 years and a few months.

The number of days I've survived with "fan ban" Malaysian food, 2 years and a few months.

The number of days my stomach has never been fully satisfied... you get the picture.

We should go on a road trip back home. :D

monochromatix said...

Yeah... well.. my uncle plays badminton with the owner, soo we decided to try it out. As for the Laksa... I'm pretty sure someone in our party ordered it... just no one at our end :p

REAL Malaysian food, mmmmmmm... I couldn't get enough when I was back there... haiz... now I'm counting the days until I have a chance to go and have more...