Sunday, January 21, 2007

Eats: Tojo's...

For my Father's birthday my sister and I decided to take the family to Tojo's Japanese restaurant. Some people say it's the best in Vancouver, some say it's the best in Canada, and some say it's the best in the World!!! There is only one Tojo's and this is it... :) I had heard many things about Tojo's but never had the opportunity to go.

Tojo's has just relocated to 1133 West Broadway. We were initially set for opening night but Dad forgot that he had classes that night so we had to re-reserve to the following night. Who knows, it could have been a blessing in disguise :) Opening nights are usually pretty packed, so the quality of the food sometimes drops a bit. Let me tell you now, Tojo's puts out top quality food with top quality ingredients... oh ya, before I forget... Tojo's other claim to fame is: He invented the California Roll ;)

We arrived at the restaurant and were promptly seated in our booth towards the back of the restaurant. I wish I had taken more pictures of the new restaurant, but, I really didn't want to disturb those who were already seated and having their dinner. As I anticipated 95% of the staff were Japanese... a nice change, and a good sign considering 90% of Japanese restaurants in Vancouver are owned by Chinese or Koreans. The service was great. The waiters took the time to go over the menu with us and before they took our orders she made sure to ask whether any of us have food allergies. My sister opted out of the Mayo for some of the dishes, they made sure it came with no mayo :)

We had a look at the menu and all decided on the Omakase, something that was recommended from the start. On the menu, they list $60, 80, 110, and up... we all opted for the $80 dinner. The prices are per person. $60 = 4 dishes, $80 = 5 dishes, $110 = 6 dishes...


First up, Tuna Tataki: Seared Tuna with Ponzu Sauce, delicious. The tuna was seared lightly and placed on a bed of shredded white radish, topped with Ginger, Daikon with spicy sauce, etc...


Japanese White Fish (Snapper) mixed greens with wasabi dressing.


Halibut Cheeks (Yuzu) served with Ginger Butter & Miso sauce, Oyster Mushroom, Spring Onions, Chives...


Salmon (Beef Teriyaki), Teriyaki sauce, Organic Shiitake, Daikon w/ Spicy Sauce...


Main platter: Lots of different rolls... I don't quite remember most of the names :p Umm.. I remember a Golden Roll... uh... there was one with Scallop, one with Dungenous Crab, Flying Fish Roe... some with Avocado, and this was the plate where my sister requested no Mayo :) Hers was served on her own plate, nice...


Coconut Icecream with Blueberries, Raspberries and Apple, Very very nice... refreshing...

Our Tojo experience was definitely a positive one. I HAVE to go back again under different circumstances (w/o the family) :p I'm sure it'll be a different experience. IMO, anyone who enjoys good food made with top ingredients with top quality service must come in and try the food at Tojo's. They are very accommodating and will prepare the food to your preferences... :) Remember... Only in VANCOUVER!

No comments: