Tuesday, April 25, 2006

WiFi Hunting...

Here I am inside Blenz on Robson and Bute on their open wireless network :) It's the first time I've actually come out in search of an open wireless network with intentions of just sitting down, relaxing and... sipping coffee(?). Ya well, I'm sitting down and relaxing.. but I'm not sipping coffee. I'm actually sipping on a Bolthouse Farms (Since 1915) Strawberry Banana Fruit Smoothie with Apple Juice drink (that's a mouthful).

Earlier today, x-tension caught me on MSN...

x: hey sam.
me: w/sup
x: nothing much. trying to figure out what to do on a sunny b/ windy afternoon
me: fly kites :D
x: i got no kites.
me: blading
x: no blades.
.
.
.
(about an hour later)

me: I just thought of something...
x: ?
me: if we can find somewhere with a WAP then we can go blog :P
me: hehe
x: like a coffee shop?
me: something like that
x: i'm down. LOL
And here we are :) BUT.. I forgot to bring along my Camera :'( I'll just have to steal pictures off x's Photoblog

So our adventure began on the way Downtown. Apparently today is the day where all the crappy drivers in Vancouver come out and hit the road... I had people slamming their brakes in front of me, weaving in and out.. and people who drove as if they were the only ones on the road.

I brought along my power inverter so that we could plug a laptop in while we were riding around in the car. The last thing that I wanted to do was end up walking around aimlessly (carrying our laptops around) and not find a wireless hotspot. My plan was to drive downtown and poll the area for potential WiFi hotspots before parking and getting out. This would require us to drive around looking like UberDorks (passenger) with a laptop in his lap :D Lucky for me, I was driving :p

As I suspected we were able to find an open WiFi network @ Blendz on the corner of Robson and Bute, right off the main drag.


After leaving the car at the underground parking garage in Pacific Center Shopping mall we slowly made our way back to Blenz. It was quite the walk, but it was a nice day and it was nice to see all the different people walking around downtown. It was a beautiful day, and I wish I had remembered to bring my camera... X had his... and he was even tempted to start taking random pictures of VanCity's bums (transients, not backsides) :p

As I was writing this I had a look at X's post on this day :p and funny thing. He mentions something about his Apple Laptop and Widgets... SEE X?! Even PC users can have Widgets! :D

Damn you x you're right :p I have a weather widget set for Singapore weather, but I don't have a clock set for Singapore time ;) Don't need it hehe.

Well, the day was fun, and we're definitely going to do this again hopefully sometime in the near future :) We'll have to plan a day just to do geekstuff ;)

Yea, I read over this post and realized that it's pretty mish mashed as well... sorry :(

2 comments:

Lonely Linus said...

If you read our little IM conversation, you gave away your name. :)

monochromatix said...

Ya :) It's all good... if people click around enough they'll find it hidden somewhere else as well ;)