Sunday, December 10, 2006

On Call...

I have recently acquired the on-call pager, blackberry and laptop. After having them passed to me I asked around to see what the experiences of others were. It was mostly, "You'll almost never get paged."

On Friday AS decided to stay back after his shift. We had a nice chat, time flew and then we decided to head over to Richmond Center to walk around then grab some grub. there we were enjoying our KFC in the foodcourt when he hears a beeping sound. I'm not sure why.. but when I hear strange sounds I tend to ignore them... for him it was different... it was a sound that he's familiar with. I thought it was funny because his facial expression changed, then I heard what he said, "omg... is that the pager?"

below: now you know why I didn't buy a BBerry earlier
Crap... anyhoo, we made our way back to his car, fished out the BBerry and I called the number back. We made bets as to who we thought it was.. I guessed Singapore, he guessed Australia... we were both wrong :p it was Dubai! Heh. Since we were close to the office we went back so I could jump on my PC. It would have been easier than trying to find an internet connection somewhere else and then VPN'ing into the network. After about an hour of on-call OT we both went home.

Not but 1/2 hr later as I was pulling in front of the house the pager went off again! I thought for sure it was Dubai... nope, it was a local number. When I called back I discovered that it was 2nd level calling to let me know that one of the mirror drives had failed... wtf. So I had to call someone else and wake them up :D lol. I opened a ticket and passed on the message. He said he would call me if he discovered it was something serious. I wasn't expecting to get a very good rest, lucky me :) no call! Yay!

Sooo.. the first day that I get paged I end up with 2 calls and 1.5 hrs of OT/on-call pay :p

Having the pager sucks... I'm always worried that someone's going to interrupt me if I'm out... oh well. I'm sure the pay will make up for it :/

Oh ya... the Support laptop blue-screened on me... we later discovered that it's a HW failure. Nice, support needs support :p So now I have to configure a new one. At least it's a brand new IBM T60 :)

No comments: