Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Boxing Day Chaos...

I don't usually go shopping on boxing day as it is the busiest day of the year in Canada. If you're from the U.S.A. it equivalent to your Black Friday. Over-seas.. I'm not sure what I can compare it to =p you'll just have to read on and have a look at the pictures ;)

So I get a call from Boos in the early-afternoon and we decide to hit the mall together, of course, we choose to go to (probably) the busiest mall in the lower-mainland today... Metrotown/Eaton's Center. We could tell from the start that it was going to be an interesting day, hehe. Even before we got inside the parking lot we saw vehicles packed to capacity, and all-round crappy driving.

Inside the parking lot was chaos.. there were cars lined up at every intersection and officials directing traffic at the intersections near the entrances we were lucky enough to run into these idiots who decided to start backing up the ramp to P2 after they realized that P2 was gridlocked.


Heh, I stood on the horn for Boos and she shouted out the window, "There are people behind us already!"... Bloody fools.

So we circled the lot for 1/2 hour and almost just ended up leaving in frustration, then I sed, "F3kk it! There's a spot, right there!". When in Rome, do as the Roman's do, right? We parked on some pretty yellow lines painted on the road :D Forgot to take a picture of that..

Now the parking ordeal is over. Time for us to feel the wrath of Boxing day shoppers.

We stumbled across a this marquee:

"...WELCOME TO BOXING DAY HELL..." Welcome, indeed ;)

First store we came across was Definition.. 90% off everything in store WTH. And that store is no larger than the size of my room.. imagine that! Just like a can of sardines...

Daisy decided that she wanted to go inside (crazy girl) so she joined the queue.. I decided to go take a walk and see if there was anything special going on at Sakura Media (Anime store) just down the way... hehe, luck me... the queue was non-existent when I got there (tho the entrance was closed). I stood in line, made my way in, found my goods and was out within 5 minutes (queue at counter was short too =p). No 90% price reduction in Sakura Media, just no tax.. still, with tax at 14.5% it can be a significant amout of savings.

By the time I got back to Definition Daisy was at the front of the line already... didn't take long I suppose (I can't imagine anyone going in there and taking their sweet time anyway, not in those conditions).

We then proceeded on towards the rest of the mall... and Boxing Day Hell! On the way there I stumbled upon this queue at Swatch. Am I missing something? Swatch watches are in again? The last Swatch I owned was back in 86 When Expo came to town... Funny thing about this line is... it looked like everyone was FOB. Couldn't believe it tho! Line went around the corner!



After marvelling at Swatch for awhile I turned my head and took about 10 steps... that's when I realized what I had REALLY gotten myself into :


Boos said to me, "Ya, I was going to go to Aritzia, but the lineup over there is retarded too!"

Lineup? What lineup?

We proceed to swim through the crowd and, I suppose it wasn't all that bad, considering I didn't (accidentally) knee any kids' heads this year (only on purpose.. hehe, joke lang). Does punching count? I punched some kid in the head by accident.. not my fault he walked into my fist =p. Anyway it wasn't hard enough to make them cry. Right: My favorite store :D

By this time Daisy and I are both getting hungry, which leads us to the next obvious destination... the food court.

[rant] You know what gets me everytime? Families that walk slow az... and take up the whole lane :@ WTF is up with that? There aren't people around you who need to get somewhere fast? Just because you have all the time in the world doesn't mean that other people don't need to be somewhere... can't you just pair up or something? Why link arms and spread across the whole lane? Walk single file, stay close to the storefronts, don't congregate in the middle of a main walkway... Wait... wait, I have an Idea, STAY HOME! [/rant]

We arrive at the foodcourt... and lose our appetites...

Can you blame us?

Needless to say, we left... tho on the way out I saw a sweet az Sony digicam :'(... sooo nice... I think I'm in love :'( WTH

Click here to learn more. Cry with me... :'(

Leaving Eaton's Center was not as much of an ordeal as we had originally anticipated. We actually made it out of there in under 5 minutes. Next Destination: Cactus Club, (Lougheed Hwy).
This provided us with the opportunity to enjoy a Spinach salad, Wonton (Noodle) Soup, Potato Skins and a Guinness... Oh, yea, lest I forget... AND another chance to lose our appetites...

**Family gathering pictures will be posted when I get my hands on the DDR footage =)**

2 comments:

carolyn said...

I applaud your bravery for entering the boxing day melee. Did that once and never again. :p

Just chanced upon your blog today.

monochromatix said...

LOL... yea, it's been awhile so I figured, meh, why not? Let's see what I've been missing all these years :p

Not sure if it was worth it tho, as the only thing I came out with was a bunch of pictures and a scarf :D