Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Grudge 2...

Synopsis: Set within two years after the first film and between two countries. Karen's sister, Audrey, been affected by the supernatural curse, and trying to find the origin of it in order to find a way to free herself. But what has this quest got to do with the families who are living in Chicago, a photojournalist from Hong Kong,and the three schoolgirls from Tokyo's International High School?



When I left the theater on this one I was impartial. I really couldn't go one way or the other. There were times in the movie when I was very impressed, and there were times when it just didn't make sense. One thing for sure is that they've REALLY 'Westernized' it. It doesn't have that 'Asian Horror Movie' feel to it.

I know it's due in-part to the fact that Asian and North American culture are sooo far apart from each other. The Asian culture is full of spirits, there are sightings all the time. I'm not saying that here in North America people don't believe in ghosts... I know they do. But the stories that you hear here and the ones from there are different, they have a different feel. Plus since Asia is so much smaller and densly populated than N.A. more people can say they've experienced, or know someone who has experienced, a haunting or sighting. Anyway enough of this tangent...

Not surprisingly most of the scares were pretty predictible. There was, however, one in particular that I loved :) (darkroom), not sure why I liked it so much :p but I did. Like the first Grudge there were multiple stories. Read below and you'll find that this is not a remake of JU-ON 2. The stories felt very detached from each other, the Chicago one in particular. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who felt a little disoriented... ah well. Oh yeah... the biggest piss-off was when they located Kayoko's Mother somewhere in the outskirts of Japan... SHE SPOKE ENGLISH :@ and she spoke it WELL. WTF?!

I can't really say I'd recommend it for viewing in the theatre, but it's definitely worth a rent :)



Synopsis from Wikipedia:

The Grudge 2 is the 2006 sequel to the American horror film remake The Grudge. The Grudge 2 is the second film in Sony's The Grudge series and is directed by Takashi Shimizu (director of the original series) and written by Stephen Susco. The film is produced by Sam Raimi and stars Sarah Michelle Gellar, Amber Tamblyn, Arielle Kebbel and Edison Chen. As stated by Takashi Shimizu the film is not a remake of Ju-on: The Grudge 2 and does follow a different storyline.

No comments: