Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Movie: Déjà Vu... (pre-screening)

I have the good fortune of working for a great company and having an awesome supervisor :) As it turns out, his wife works for the Vancouver Sun and frequently has access to pre-screenings of select movies. They had an extra pass and were kind enough to offer it to me, of course, I couldn't refuse! Even though I had to wake up for my early shift the following day :p



Synopsis: Denzel Washington plays Doug, an ATF agent who has to figure out the series of events that led up to an explosion on a ferry in New Orleans. During his investigation he comes across strange clues some familiar, some not. Val Kilmer an agent from the FBI (I think) is appointed as head of a task force assigned to an assignment with unusual time constraints. Doug, recruited for his knack of spotting things out of the ordinary and superb attention to detail, must help them piece things together using the government's new technology. In a race against time he has to piece things together and... try to prevent it from happening (?) ;)


I really don't know how I can review this movie without giving spoilers. What I can say is once again Denzel Washington pulls through with a stellar performance. The pace from the outset was steady and the humor was distributed in nice doses. Throughout the movie I found myself looking for small details trying to figure things out before the finale. After a certain point I managed to, but was still pleased with the ending and the movie as a whole. As the plot progressed I started to worry a little bit, it seemed like the movie was going off in a direction that in past has proved disastrous for other movies. Surprisingly, they managed to pull it off well. I can't say what direction they were heading in without giving away a key detail in the plot so I'll leave you with this. Go watch this movie in the theater if you get the chance... I'm considering a second screening ;)

** I may edit this review later on... I'm already lying in bed as I'm typing this out **

No comments: