Sunday, February 05, 2006

Friends of OCF - CNY Celebration...

Last night I attended a 'Friends of OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship) CNY Celebration'. I actually wasn't expecting to stay the whole night hence the lack of pictures. This took place at Cascade Gospel Chapel, the Church that I grew up attending. I feel very out of place everytime I step in there... I haven't attended Church in a good 10 years. That being said, it's a surprise I don't burst into flames everytime I set foot in there :p.

The night began with the emcee welcoming everyone there and then going into some of the tales behind CNY and the zodiac, then he continued on with a few 'dog' jokes. All I remember was the last one, it went something like this.

There was a minister that was invited over to some person's house, now, this particular person wasn't exactly known to be the greatest house keeper. He went in and made himself comfortable then proceeded to walk over to the dinner table. The minister sits himself down and looks at the setting, there was something peculiar with the whole thing. "Do you clean these dishes?" He says.
"As clean as soap and water can get them..." She replies.

Satisfied with her answer, the minister relaxes and partakes of the meal with her. Upon completion of the meal the woman gets up and, to his surprise, walks past the sink and out onto the patio. "Here Soap! Here Water!"
Ya... I remember the joke because all I heard after the punchline was... CRICKETS!

They then proceeded to draw lots to determine which tables would get to line up first... my table was first, table #16. There was actually quite a bit of food to choose from (mostly malaysian/singaporean dishes) but unfortunately I ate before I went to the celebration.

After dinner there was in interesting play :D It was more amusing than anything because it reminded me of one of those old english dubbed movies. They had pre-recorded the track because they couldn't fit everyone with a mic, they wanted to be sure that everyone could be heard. Bad thing was, everyone's timing was waaaay off, so the lips weren't synched :p


That's my Dad on the far-right

After the play a minister from one of the North Vancouver Churches gave a testemony. It began with a great joke:

A Japanese businessman (in Malaysia) got into a Cab (Proton Saga: Malaysian-made car) "Quick, take me to the airport."
The cab driver is on the highway and the Japanese man notices that there are cars flying past them!

A Toyota Camry blows past and he exclaims, "Toyota Camry! Very good car, very fast, very fast! Made in Japan!"
Next a Nissan flys by, "Nissan! Very good car, very fast, very fast! Made in Japan!"
Another car goes by, "Honda Accord! Very good car, very fast, very fast! Made in Japan!"

Finally they arrive at the airport. "How much?" Asks the business man.
"RM 200" says the cab driver.
"Wah, why so expensive?!"

...

"Taxi Meter... Made in Japan! Very fast, VERY FAST!"
After the testemony there was dessert... our table was second (table 6 :p) hehe, I had moved since the beginning of the dinner ;). All in all, the night was alright, it was nice to see the familiar faces of the elders that surrounded me when I was growing up. Cheers, happy CNY.

No comments: